Monday, October 02, 2006

The craic!

After Saturday night I have decided to marry an Irishman! Not because I have met an Irishman, or because I love Irishmen, or because I want to get married! But because the Irish sure do know how to throw a wicked wedding reception!!

The sister of my friend got married on Saturday, and as I have been out with her and her other sisters a few times I got to go to the evening reception :-) Now, as wedding receptions go I have to admit they are usually pretty boring, and as I was going by myself and didn't know many people there, I was not exactly looking forward to it! I duly went along though, and ended up having a fantastic time.

There was a live Irish band called The Duffy's, two of whom are currently touring with WorldParty in America and who came back just to do this wedding reception (Yay, nepotism is a wonderful thing!) and I for one am very glad they did! I can't say I've ever thought of myself as an Irish music fan but these guys were seriously great, and I found that much Irish dancing took place. In fact I have bruises on my arms from being swung around so much!! But it was great fun, and I'm thinking I should learn how to do Irish dancing, at least the group stuff. (Not the Riverdance stuff). Perhaps I will have to rope CM in...

The only blot on the horizon, as always, was the lack of DM! It's funny, but I miss him so much more when I am having a good time, expecially if I know it is something he would love. And he certainly would have (much as he is probably muttering under his breath, yeah right, if he ever stops by to read this - if so, trust me, you would!). He may not have loved the dancing, although I'm sure he would have had a great time laughing at me jigging and twirling like a muppet, but he would have loved the music, lots of fiddle, mandolin and accordian playing, and the atmosphere of everybody just out to have a good time. Really great!! I did have a bit of a wobble half way through thinking of him but managed to keep it together.

Spent yesterday just chilling. Although that said, did have to do the usual tidying, washing, hoovering, cleaning malarkey!! But a nice peaceful day. CM did offer to come round last night, but to be honest I was absolutely knackered. I don't think I've been to bed before 2.30am since last Wednesday!!! I did say we could do something Friday though, so will wait and see.

So a good weekend for me, but a but boring reading for you.

Also started my new job today. Hurray! Spent most of the day moving offices and generally settling myself in, as well as trying to reorganise the computer system! (Ooops, think I deleted a file actually!)

Oh, and I have my beautiful car back. Hurray, hurray, hurray!!!!!

6 comments:

always kris said...

Maybe you are planning your wedding, but just starting at the end of it. lol Next...the groom, then the dress!

Ordinary Girl said...

Haha, maybe!! Isn't that what most women do!

Then again, maybe I'm just planning an Irish shindig without the need of a wedding...

Mummy said...

I love me some irish .... men and dancing ... they are such fun. Riverdance rocks me world ! It sounds like a great wedding, no pics u can post for us ?

Anonymous said...

I tried that river dance once and nearly drownd, so be careful, x

Tobiwan said...

The wedding sounded like a blast. I'm curious how different an Irish Wedding is in comparison to what we see here in the states.

Grats on the new Job OG. Does this mean you get a male servant/assistance to order around?

Ordinary Girl said...

Hi all,
Joie - can't say I've ever fancied Irish (men or dancing) before, but Irish wedding receptions, woohoo! No pics I'm afraid. You are very brave with your 24hr rule but total anonymity for me!!

Wayne - lol, the old ones are the best eh?!!

Tobi - It's hard to say what made it so different, and I have no experience of American weddings either (perhaps DM will invite me to his!), but over here receptions (the evening part) tend to be a bit dull! Crappy music, old dears, dad dancing, etc. I guess what made this one special, apart from the live band (who really were great) was the atmosphere. Everybody was up and dancing and enjoying themselves, and that makes all the difference.
PS. Cheers for the congrats. Unfortunately no male assistance for me! (although hopefully I will get to hack a few lowlife pimps off!!)