Saturday, October 14, 2006

Bored!

I'm bored!! Bored and unsettled this evening. Nothing on the telly I'm interested in, don't want to read, can't be bothered to wank, don't feel chatty, not interested in going out (even if I could), not even interested in driving (even if I could) - which is usually my all time cure all ills remedy.

I've had a hard week at work, the first two weeks of a new job thats involved meeting multi-agencies, fostering and building multi-partnerships, bringing in line agencies/workers under service level agreements, being introduced to a new clientele, attempting to begin to build the currently blank canvas about the sex industry - all part of an intensive six week induction period, and all whilst being smiley, friendly, polite, interested and apparently completely competent.

I'm stressed that my calender is booked solid for the next two weeks, with only half a day a week in the office and not out meeting and greeting, and that next week I am also doing two outreach sessions which mean working til 11.30pm, one of which is straight through from a day of meetings starting at 9am.

On top of this induction, (my supposed settling in period before I do any actual work), so far I have had to get up to date, do a briefing and organise a future strategy and training session regarding a potential outbreak of TB amongst the sex workers. Begin to think about my objectives and have those confirmed and agreed by the end of the month. Decide and agree a budget, including current spends and predicted costs, despite the fact that nobody seems to have a clue as to how things are paid for or where the invoices for several things are. As well as now being given the funding application that will secure funding for the next 3 years of the project to be completed by 27th October. Not too much pressure there then!!

I wanted this job, badly, and I know I'm capable of doing it and that this is just the early day learning curve (more of a straight line at the moment). So I can cope with the stress, in fact I function better with it I think, but it's still there.

The odd thing is that I was looking forward to doing nothing this weekend! except maybe take X and Y swimming and/or the cinema. And now it's only Friday and I feel restless, restless, restless!! There's just something missing I guess?!

Bah, humbug to life!

5 comments:

Mummy said...

Wow! Your job is really interesting... hang in there, this feeling is just cos u are new. all new jobs suck first few months. it does sound like u are thrown in deep end!

have a great weekend with the kids! and wank for fuksake,,, itll make u less stressed for work!

Anonymous said...

I agree with joie on both counts! Job sounds amazing but it always takes a good while to settle in. Give it time:)

And even if you feel you can't be bothered wank! It will make you feel better and me less sad for being on my 4th already today! lol

always kris said...

lmao @ andrew's 4th for the day...two for me and I dont feel better... lol maybe four is the magic number?

Anonymous said...

Now TB to me means Taliban, so I'm assuming there is not going to be an outbreak of them in sex workers? Sounds like you are being initiated into the public or not for profit sector? Been there myself, its a strange beast and believe me you can excel there, so be confident!

oh and don't worry, the govt has been preaching partnership working for years and still haven't managed to crack it or provide any useful tips on how to achieve it!

Ordinary Girl said...

Thanks all, I really am cool about job, and know it's just early days. Sure I will get there soon. And to be honest I thrive on the stress really. Think I'm just out of sorts generally.

Will try the wanking Andrew and Kris. You bad bad bloggers...!!
:-)