Saturday, July 14, 2007

Normality

I'm usually quite careful about blogging about the specifics of work, due to the nature of the beast/confidentiality etc, but I think it's important to acknowledge this for memory.

Today at work, just after lunch, I received a telephone call from the local police for information regarding one of our clients, due to their serious concerns around her safety after 2 different 999 calls regarding her within 20 minutes.

Much ringing around later I was able to furnish the police with some information regarding her recent experiences, her recent contacts, etc, and left them to deal with it. Eventually we get the news that an incident had occurred at her flat resulting in the arrest of three people, one for firearms offences, and a "pistol whipping" incident, but that she is neither implicated or harmed.
Now, mulling over the days events generally, it's just occurred to me that aside from worrying about the client, and checking safety for my outreach workers tonight, I really haven't thought about this in any great detail at all. It's just a mildly more eventful day than most.

The abnormal as a working normality. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

3 comments:

Angela-la-la said...

I feel that way when I read my local rag with it's 'shock, horror, puppy lost!' headlines then nip online to see where I used to live in East London and take the murders and muggings as read.

You checked the client was ok and made sure that everyone in the field was safe; you did good! If your client had been harmed you'd be feeling it and that's what makes you he right person for your job so stop beating yourself up, woman!

Anonymous said...

You squeeze quite a bit into a couple of days don't you?
Yes you missed the photo of YT

Ordinary Girl said...

You're right FB. And I'm not beating myself up about it. I suppose sometimes it just makes me think about quite how potentially dangerous this job might be! It's amazing what you get used to after a while.

Lol innocent. It doesn't feel like it at the moment. I feel most dull I have to say!! Perhaps that's something to do with the value I give these "events". And damn about the photo!!