Monday, November 27, 2006

The advent of taking the piss!

Aha!! I'm here, at bloody last!! And what is most annoying about having such a hard time logging in is that I have a few random posts in my head, and will probably be wanting to spout them muchly this evening. Such as, this....

What is with bloody advent calenders these days??? Why is it that every advent calender I see in shops nowadays has a chocolate behind every number?? Call me miserable, but if I wanted my kids to start the day with chocolate I'd feed them bloody coco pops!

What has happened to the joy of opening a door to discover a tiny wee christmassy picture that took you one day closer to a whole day of presents and chocolate eating, and that being enough excitement!!! I tell you. I refuse to buy chocolate advent calenders (unless I forget to get them at all until 1st December, by which time there is more hope of Santa actually arriving on my roof than getting a non-chocolatey one!!!), and the year before last actually got conned into buying lego and polly pocket ones, where at least they got something keepable and non-edible every day!

And, yes... AND! What in the name of the Christmas spirit himself (not vodka, by the way!) is the point of a pet's advent calender!!!!! I kid you not, I just saw an advent calender for a bloody guinea pig!!! Holy fucking trinity, the world is mad!!

8 comments:

Kitten Heels said...

I have an answer for this one! You get a smallish dish that you don't want, make it look Christmassy (glitter and stuff) and tell the kids to put each days' of choc in the special xmas bowl to save for the big day itself...or to give to the big Santa man if you don't want them to eat it at all!

Ordinary Girl said...

Hmmm, definitely an idea! Not that I think my kids would buy it, lol. Think I'm going to do some hunting around on ebay and find me some traditional advent calenders this year! (That or lego and polly pocket again!!)

Anonymous said...

You called?? .... holy fucking trinity ... ahh never mind. Good blog btw!

Angela-la-la said...

This is the first year I'm giving in and buying the choccy ones (including one for me!) but I will still insist they don't open them till after school.

Pets calendars go beyond my comprehension but then I just don't do pets (although other people's are great - a bit like I used to feel about kids! lol)

C'mon Sleepless, do your pussies have calendars? You can tell us... ;-)

Freddy said...

You've done well if you've found Advent Calendars at all. So many shops sell something called 'Countdown Calendars'. And how many of the Advent Calendars actually feature the advent story?

Just... Why? said...

My Mum will ONLY buy religious themed advent calendars (she's a bit of a God-Botherer when push comes to shove). You can get them at Waitrose apparently or the SPCK shops.

Vi said...

my kids have got two. I bought one years ago that's a handmade material santa with pockets on it to hold treats in. (Think I'll do coins this year) Bust they MUST have the choccy cheapies, otherwise war is on my hands (They very rarely get chocolate treats!)

Ordinary Girl said...

Welcome Trinity. Nice to see you hear. See, ask and you shall receive, lol.

I'm not particularly trying to big up the religious aspect of Christmas rather than dampening down the commercial! But fight I will!

(That said, and being a busy (read crappy!) mother, I haven't yet managed to source any calenders, mainly due to lack of looking, although now realising as usual, 1st December is only tomorrow!!! Eeek!