Thursday, April 26, 2007

The smoke!

After an early start and managing to get the train to London on time (which is a bloody miracle for me at 7.50am!!), myself and my two colleagues arrived in London in excellent time, and then proceeded to take an age getting to Kensington by tube due to getting on the wrong train twice! (Not helped by discovering that my train plus underground purchased ticket refused to work in a single underground ticket machine!)

Finally managed to get there only to learn one of the main presentations I was looking forward to had been cancelled, and the Chair had to leave half way through for 2 hours, which was a) disappointing, and b) taking the bloody piss! Especially considering it was a conference that cost £550 plus VAT per delegate to attend. (I didn't have to pay as a speaker of course!).

The morning session was pretty dull, with only 1 of the speakers being remotely interesting, leading into a lunch that was nothing to write home about. The afternoon picked up a little, with 2 quite interesting speakers, and myself and my colleagues in the middle of them. I was, of course, fabulous :-)

So, after a somewhat disappointing day, we begin the homeward bound journey, only to discover that unfortunately, but rather amusingly, that whilst we had been merrily chatting about the calibre (or lack of) the conference on the return to the underground, the above-mentioned Chair happened to be walking right beside us! We may not be invited to attend again!

Fortunately the return underground journey happened without mishap (or mis-mapreading), and we made good time getting aboard the train that would take us back to the normality of our own little town. Unfortunately, said train then spent the entire journey back on the "slow track", (due to a car hitting a railway bridge or something), which resulted in a journey that lasted nearly half as long again.

Despite the tiresomeness of the journey, I always enjoy a trip to London on "business", and it has the effect of making me feel like a real working "grown up". I certainly wouldn't want to do it every day though!

So, after a hectic day of speaking, listening and travelling, I rounded off the day with a takeaway indian (meal not person!), which was lovely but is not conducive to losing a stone in the next week, and now feel sick! Bugger! No more eating for a week!!

8 comments:

Angela-la-la said...

Yay for you big grown up working woman! Let's hope the chair took note of your complaints and you get better speakers and a nice lunch next time :)

Vi said...

Ahhh, indian, I'm still farting from the one I had at 1am Saturday morning!

Lady in red said...

maybe you will be invited to chair the next one .....show how it should be done!

glad you are enjoying reading my knight

Alfie said...

What a busy life you lead. You need a long rest. But I'll bet your vacation ends up being just as hectic.
As for the surreal image of a chair walking alongside you and listening to you conversation ... Oh, what has PC done to our language?

The Boy said...

I always enjoy conference speaking, though I think there must be a law about the averageness of the lunches.

Fat Controller said...

The Tube ain't that difficult is it? Which Kensington were you headed for...Olympia?

Angel said...

Oooh yuk that involves Earls Court and that can't be good!

And you should be making more pleasure trips to London, it's jsut better that way!

Ordinary Girl said...

Well you never know your luck FB! (More like we won't be invited!)

Oh Vi, you have such a lovely way with words :-)

Maybe - though chairing is actually pretty boring - I'd much rather speak. For the whole day preferably!

No doubt Alfie! I will probably need a break to recover from my break!

You might be right Duddler. Though I have had some lovely lunches before. Not this time though!

Lol, not that difficult at all FC. We were at the right station, just didnt check which train we got on. Doh!

Welcome Angel (gosh too many angels these days, I'll get confused!), and you're absolutely right!