Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Vegas - Part 5 - Monday matrimony

So, after the wedding dress hijack of Sunday, the "Big Day" arrives!

Fortunately for me (and Mr ATM), it wasn't happening until 4.15pm, so we got to do bugger all for nearly the whole day! Poor ATM had to be up after a very late night to meet Valerie at 9am to sort out flowers. I tell you, that's dedication for you!! (Glad she's not that much my friend!)

So, after a day of skin cancer exposure (incidentally I'm sure I'm still the same colour as when I left England!!), posh frocks were donned and off we traipsed to the Circus Circus' Chapel of the Fountain. (Don't ask me where the fountain was? I didn't notice it!)


(photo from website)

Surprise surprise the weddings were running late! Though we were there on time, at 4.15pm, still waiting in front of us were a couple, on their own, who were renewing their vows 25yrs after their wedding (which is very sweet), and a massive party waiting to go in before us, although I really couldn't tell which was the bride. All this resulted in the bride nipping off to the restaurant downstairs to ask them to hold our table for dinner, which was booked for 5.30pm!

After waiting patiently and watching the renewal couple's renewal dvd (they play it after your married so you can watch it!), it was finally Valerie and Tim's turn...

Out comes the "wedding planner" lady, who I swear was either as pissed as a newt or on some kind of medication, and proceeded to dither around for about ten minutes saying nothing but "I'm not really having a good day today". No shit lady!! Lay off the fucking meths! She also gave them $80 too much change! WTF!! So with practically no help from her, we eventually got ourselves organised and trooped into the Chapel.

As ATM had bought tacky gold lame (that should be pronounced larmay but I don't have an e with a ' thing above it!) for all us girls to wear in tacky Vegas, we had insisted that we (including the bride) wear them to the wedding. The perfect occasion after all! So all us girlies sat on the front row, waving our feet for the camera, whilst waiting for the bride's entrance. This was the most amusing part of the wedding!!

Anyway, to cut a long story short. They came in. Minister?? (whatever they're called in Vegas chapels) said about ten minutes of chat about how it was important they remember love, and know the special things about each other, and how their friends and family had come to celebrate their special day (which was particularly amusing as the wedding guests consisted of 10 people, 1 of whom is hated by the bride, 1 of whom the bride and groom had not met until the day before and 6 of whom had only met the groom the day before!!), and how much love and laughter there was between them, and ya de ya de yah (it would have been quite good if it wasn't pretty much verbatim what he'd said to renewal couple!!), and so they were wed!

And it really was most bizarre! Not the Vegas thing, not the chapel thing, not the crazy drunk wedding planner, not the minister person, (certainly not the fabulous shoes!!) but the bride and groom!! Seriously, in all my time I have never seen a couple with less chemistry in my entire life. It was most strange. And a little discomforting actually. The entire wait to go in there was no touching, no secret smiles, no constant checking of each other, barely even any conversation between the two of them! Very, very odd.

Anyway, official stuff over we went downstairs for our booking at the best steak house in vegas (voted for 17yrs in row, don't you know!). And it was absolutely gorgeous. The food was fabulous, the wine good quality, the service impeccable. It was expensive (by Vegas standards), but very worth it. And the posh frock was perfect :-) Even if there were complaints from Mr S sat across the table about the amount of cleavage I was flashing! He loves it really!!

So, to hell with the cost! Besides, I'm sure you're thinking... The bride and groom chipped in for people's drinks and dinner. After all, everybody had put themselves out to make sure they had a special day (especially ATM, OG and Mr ATM, ahem!!), and they had wangled a free $80 from the wedding! However, you would be sadly mistaken. Not so much as a bottle of wine was bought by new husband and wife!! (Did I mention she was loaded by the way?!)
Meal progressed with much chatter and flirting with waiters (oh, that was just me! hehehe) from around the table, well from the super six (ATM, Mr ATM, Mr and Mrs S, CT and I) and Lanky (who was pretty acceptable, apart from trying get away with tipping!!)

And the " loved up" couples in the group...? Well, Curtains spent most of the meal (actually the day) with a rigid smile on her face, spitting chips and giving off waves of resentment and jealousy. This may have been due to the fact that on Saturday, when we had innocently walked past the chapel and I was teasing Mr and Mrs S that they could renew their vows, she had suddenly piped up that her and Yule "could get married" . He looked a bit stricken, and I forgot myself and told him (rather loudly) that he'd better just keep on walking! (I don't think that was received very well by her!)

So, on the day, although she tried to keep smiling, there was a distinct air of "Fucking bitch, it should have been me about her!". Yule, as "best man" seemed oblivious throughout the day and the meal, and reacted in the only way he seems to react to anything, by smiling and nodding quietly.

The bride and groom (actually, the bride!) spent most of the meal discussing the fact that they hadn't had to sign the wedding certificate itself, (they apparently completed the registration documents in pencil!!), so they would have to go and check it was all okay in the morning. After all, we all want to be sure that she really is no longer a spinster!!

After the heavenly meal, with bellies full of perfect garlic mushrooms, gorgeous ranch salad starters, varying melt in the mouth steaks of varying sizes and bloodiness, garlic mashed potato/divine fries/baked potatoes, beautifully cooked asparagus and a variety of wines and other alcoholic beverages, we set off to round off their perfect wedding evening with a romantic stroll along to the Bellagio, which is quite simply a beautiful building...




..to see the fountains at night, which 'dance' every fifteen minutes to various music, and are quite spectacular.





Then a wander into the Bellugio itself (with the bride marching ahead with her bouquet in the air like a flag - seriously!), for a quick nosy in the Chanel, Gucci and Prada shops, before finishing the wedding day fun with a final trip around the conservatory, which is also quite amazing.




(I so wanted to ride that snail for a photo, but daredn't!!)

I think the romantic atmosphere must have worked, as I'm sure I saw the happy couple talk to each other at one point. I think! And so the nuptials came to an end. Bride and groom were wished all good wishes, and retired off to their newly marital bed. With Sprog!

(Edit after reminder from ATM - I assumed the getting trollied! Funny that...!)

The rest of us then went to see the 'Eiffel Tower' at The Paris Hotel, (which incidentally relied on me leaning my cleavage on the bar, with dollar note in hand, and sweet smile on face, to get us all served) and I won $15 on a machine with a very similar name to X!! Yay! I then promptly lost it again! Return to the hotel, and due chatting and smoking out the front commenced!

(Incidentally, the next time anybody saw the three of them, on this mates-catching-up-holiday was on Friday evening for an hour! Nice!!)

8 comments:

Alfie said...

That really was the funniest and most interesting post I have read in ages. Can't wait to show Emm (who's still in bed). Great! And posted at 1.10 a.m. What are you on?

Vi said...

Fantastic OG! Don't forget to send me some photos!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant - will have to cut and paste out to send to those who will appreciate it but can't see this, as they are too easily shocked..

Three real questions linger in my mind about my (ex)-friend the bride....a) whats a real loveless marriage like.., b) why she didn't get a pre-nup when I mentioned it at least 5 times and c) what the hell did she eat at the steak house...she is after all vegetarian?? I know I sat next to her but I have no idea...

Anonymous said...

Also probably appropriate for me to now celebrate the following statistics..

The ATM posts now = 8.
More than posts called dreams, shags and sick.

I feel I am well on my way to catching DM currently sitting at 64.

May take another trip half way round the world but I'm quietly confident...

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't be so confident!! She still has to post about Thursday and Friday yet!?! And I'm going to be back there soon, And she tells me we're going to be spending a whole lot of time together in the coming months!!

Anonymous said...

Hey DM... think you will have to put some actions where your mouth is...(maybe not now, but sometime in the next 20 years..)... Glad you looked after our girl in San Fran - its where I got married you know...you could do a lot, lot, lot worse... 10000 visitors to this site are all waiting...

Ordinary Girl said...

Aw, thank you Alfie. I aim to please :-)

Don't worry Vi, photos will be forthcoming!!

Lol ATM - go ahead! You're in double figures now you know!!
PS. Much as I'd like to think I get 10,000 visitors unfortunately I think it's more like 10! They just come back quite often!!

Well Darren, I might just wait until you've been back before I post the SFO posts! And intending to take me up on coming months then are you...?!

coffeesnob said...

are you looking for this "é"? you lent it to me last week. do you want it back?