Saturday, May 05, 2007

Vegas - Part 2 - Friday travels

So, Friday started early, with me dragging myself out of my bed at silly o'clock to be on a train at just after 6am. A lovely stress free journey to Gatwick, and I was the first to arrive, with plenty of time for my baggage drop after checking in online (so recommended!!) About ten minutes later CT, Yule and Curtains arrived, who had driven up, and the party commenced. They were closely followed by Mr and Mrs S and Lanky, who had actually got there first after staying at Gatwick overnight, but had been in the ridiculously long check-in line unnoticed for about half an hour. Whipped them off to the online check in at the airport, and we were soon all baggage free with an hour and half to spare before flying.

There was some disagreement with Virgin, who despite us all booking our seats prior to the journey, decided to give away Mr and Mrs S's seats and then seat them somewhere else away from the rest of us. (Incidentally, Lanky had decided to upgrade so was seated elsewhere). After much arguing and tussling, this was finally resolved at the boarding gate, and after some time spent generally catching up we were soon boarding the plane.

The journey wasn't too bad. I hate taking off (and landing), but I'm okay while I'm up there, and although it's a long old trek (10hrs), this was helped by the almost constant bringing round of drinks and food (I just love airline food!), and the rather nice view of several hunky rugger buggers who were off on a rugby tour! Not usually my cup of tea, but amusing for a long airplane journey. Unfortunately I didn't manage to land a seat next to one of them, but was instead between Yule, who I'd just met and is the most talkative of folks, and an elderly gentleman who by the looks of the exercises he did to stretch his legs (and his rather Kenneth Williams manner), used to be a professional ballet dancer! The latter was much more fun to chat with!

We landed at around 4.30pm US time, and after an (unscheduled) tour around The Strip (and most of the hotels) whilst on the transfer bus, finally checked in at my home for the next 2 nights (and nearly everybody else's for the duration of the holiday).



Circus Circus - photo from website

After an hour to unpack and freshen up, it was straight out to see what Vegas had to offer, and to fill our bellies with some much needed proper nosh! However, after all the travelling we couldn't be bothered to head too far away, so decided to stay local in the hotel and get something to eat before deciding what to do with the rest of the night. The Garden Grill looked most inviting, (especially as they were offering pitchers of Margarita for half price!) and the food was positively scrummy. I think we pretty much all had some kind of burger and fries (we were after all in America!), and were all blown away with how nice (and large!) the meal was.


Garden Grill -(photo from website)

Two pitchers of Margarita later, and the big plans had evaporated with all of us ready for bed, (especially considering that it was now 3am for us in British time), and we decided to call it a night and headed off to our rooms. A bath soak later, and I was in my bed by 8pm! Only to be awake again from 3.30am to around 5.30am, before catching another couple of hours ready to begin Saturday...


PS. Thanks to Vi for sorting me out with proper links! Yay, I feel so clever!!

3 comments:

Midnight said...

Two pitchers of Margarita each? Sounds like a good start in true Brit style!

Vi said...

Well done on the links you clever girl!

Ordinary Girl said...

Ahem, that was two pitchers between 7 of us!! They were pretty huge though!!

Thank you Vi! I'm feeling most proud of myself :-)