Sunday, December 03, 2006

Long awaited

Having not gone out tonight, (because frankly I couldn't be arsed!), I decided to try and tie this 'criteria for men' thing up. I've struggled with this for a while, and wrote and rewrote several times, but have now decided to cut all the crap and take it back to basics. I have tried to keep it as short as possible, and have cut it down to the essential 12 points (which for me is not bad going!).

So, here's what I need a man to be, in order for a successful relationship to have any hope it all...

1. Independent - I need my own space and it's important that is understood and reciprocated. I don't need to spend 24/7 with somebody and it's not an indication of my feelings if I need some time to myself, but 9 years of not being responsible for a partner is a hard habit to break.
2. Confident - it's important that somebody can hold their own in any situation, as I can be a bit of a fly by night when out with people I know. I need a man to be able to take care of his self, and to be confident enough in himself to face and enjoy situations, without having to have his hand held.
3. Sexual - I don't need this to be the main component of a relationship, but it is an important one. I already have plenty of friends! I also need to be with someone who is willing to try new things, to be open to ideas, can take charge but also be led, and who is able to laugh at the ridiculousness of the whole business once in a while.
4. Witty - I definitely need a man who can make me laugh (with them, not at them), and who can appreciate that sarcasm is a form of affection with me. And if they find me funny (rather than funny looking!) then that would be a bonus too.
5. Honest - of course that's important, it should really go without saying.
6. Open minded - I don't do narrow mindedness in any form! I don't need to agree with all principles, morals and viewpoints, in fact I appreciate some healthy debate and challenge to my own view. But I'm not interested in hearing negative views about gays, blacks, refugees, women, or any other bigoted and narrow mindedness at all. I have some strong views about liberty and freedom of choice and expression, so I need somebody to be able to cope with that.
7. Intelligent - I don't need to be with somebody with a lot of intellectual knowledge, or loads of qualifications, but I do need to be with someone who is able to discuss differing ideas and events, and will stimulate and challenge me, whilst being able to be stimulated and challenged themselves. And I don't think I could ever be with someone long term who doesn't appreciate the value of literature or the beauty of theatre.
8. Presentable and attractive - shallow maybe, but I do need to be able to go out in public and be proud of the person I am with. That they are naturally attractive, if not gorgeous, and that they look like they know what is fashionable this year.
9. Ambitious - it's important to me that somebody wants more than they currently have, in whatever form that takes, and more importantly that they are willing to do something to achieve it.
10. Baggage free - everybody has a past, and everybody has issues, I understand that and am willing to accept that, but I'm not here to save any souls, so anything more than the equivalent of emotional hand luggage is too much for me!
11. Reliable - this doesn't equate with boring, or rule out the massive value of spontaneity, but it's important that I'm with somebody who does what they say will do, and when they say they will do it (within reason!). I need to know that if I need something, however large or small, that they are capable of being there for me, both physically and emotionally.
12. Understanding - of me generally, the good and the bad. Somebody who will embrace the difficult aspects of my personality, who will support me, but who won't let me walk all over them. I need to respect the person that I'm with and feel respected in return.

Well, that's about it I think! Is that really too much to ask for? I don't think so, but time will tell I guess!

So there you go... Not the most exciting, funny, witty, sexy list I'm sure, but my friend Disco swears if you put it all down and commit it out there to the fate/destiny ether (or some other such twaddle) then that man will come along! So in good faith (or in an insomniac delusion!!), I consider it now officially "out there". So come on ether, "Move your blooming arse!"

** PLEASE NOTE - This is likely just a first draft and I retain the right to change, edit, expand on it any bloody time I like! Just because I can :-)

6 comments:

Mummy said...

BRILLIANT!!! You've virtually said word for word what i want, i might play with the order of importance/priority, but you are spot on !! wicked - freaks me out when u do this !! ;-)

I hope like hell the ether delivers, then im copying this straight into my blog !! lol, even if i have to re-type it to make fate pay attention.

Alfie said...

Well, there you are then. Sorted! I've begun to make a list of all the (male) friends and colleagues I've known over the years who might measure up, so to speak. So far, I've written the title and drawn a margin. Thanks for the mention in Saturday's post by the way.

Vi said...

Spot on, OG! And they ARE out there! Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Anonymous said...

Oh crap, that's a huge list. Why can't you just want a nice bloke...

that's it.

You're really narrowing your options here, og.

Ordinary Girl said...

"Great minds think alike" Joie! (or as my mother would say... 'fools refuse to differ!).

Thanks Alfie. You just keep blogging away to keep my hope alive!

Thank you Vi, (you little loved up overly optomistic vomit enducing cow xx)

Ah, come on now fwengebaby!! It's not THAT long a list! I bet you can tick a fair few of them off yourself... !

Vi said...

Sorry to make you sick, OG! lol