Sunday, December 10, 2006

Sparkling clean

Christmas is declared!

Today I have scrubbed, and sorted, and dusted, and hoovered, and washed, and polished! I have emptied toy boxes, bagged an array of crap for the school fair, filled both the rubbish and the recycling bins and even emptied out and tidied every cupboard in my kitchen! All in preparation for the big event... yes, the putting up of Christmas decorations!! (I simply cannot put decorations up unless I do all of the above, but it is so worth it when I do!) My house (well the downstairs anyway, I'm not a bloody saint you know!) now looks booooooooootiful, and very festive indeed.

I was very surprised, and pleased, to realise that last year (or maybe the year before as I didn't partake in the festive season at all last year) I had bought lots of brand new lights and decorations, so now silver garlands are festooned from light shade to corners of the room, new silver star lights adorn my bay window, the nativity scene is out, and various other stars and bells dangle from the mantlepiece and shelves.

Ho ho ho and a Merry Christmas!

9 comments:

Angela-la-la said...

LOL! I have to scrub everywhere before I decorate too. My kids think it's just another excuse for me to call 'on hands on deck' and get them helping out. They're not entirely wrong... 8-)

Vi said...

Glad to hear you are geting into the festive spirit og. HO HO HO!!!!!!!!!!

PS:your word verif is still playing up! Took awhile to post this! (if you hadn't noticed, I took mine off to solve this prob)

Eileen Dover said...

You make me feel very, very, very...unaccomplished.

I have a tree up, with lights on, that has decorations tossed on the top so my son won't touch things.

I'm in such a blah bah-fucking-humbug mood this year, I really honestly don't care about Christmas. How sad am I?

Anonymous said...

And don't even talk to me about when I'm going to find time to send out Christmas cards. Argh!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yippeee - I love Xmas, chicky chick, cranberry sauce, chocolate, champagne (or cheap sparkly stuff - who would know really!)...

Alfie said...

Emm and I went overboard last year, with a hundred tinsel-bells, angels, etc. hanging from the beams. It was ghastly. This year we went with the less-means-more philosophy. It was done in half the time, and I didn't swear once.
I relate to Eileen's humbug-mood, rather than that of Across-the-miles.

Anonymous said...

The only Christmas spirit I've engaged in so far is 40% proof. Not even thought about trees, decorations etc.

I arrived back last night to the see the usual suspects in the street had more lights on their houses than there are in the whole of the Amsterdam red light district. It's not good for global warming.

always kris said...

Eileen, at least you have youre tree up! Still no tree at my house. I dont want to make a bigger mess than is already there.

Ordinary Girl said...

Unfortunately FB, my kids seem to think the cleaning fairies pop in around christmas to help me out!

Ho ho ho to you too Vi. (Not sure what the problem is, nobody else seems to be having any trouble?? Can you all let me know if it's causing you problems).

Ah Eileen, I know that humbug mood, it ruled last year completely, and has tried to get a grip this year too! But I've decided to stick two fingers up at it and just do my best to enjoy it this year. Hope your Christmas spirit kicks in! (If not then just stick with the liquid kind!)

Ah, christmas cards... always buy them, never send them!

But Christmas in the sunshine ATM???!!! So not right!

I haven't gone too mad Alfie, just enough for a festive glow! For the bah humbug... see above!

To be honest Sleepy, if I didn't have kids then I probably wouldn't bother, they only have to come down again! And pour a glass or two for Eileen and Alfie while you're there...

Aha Kris, you should do as I do and leave the tree to Christmas Eve! At least then it only moults all over the carpet for one week!