Friday, December 08, 2006

Why?

A long time ago now, when I was a fresh young blogger :-), I began a post about why I write this blog. Although I have made reference to it, I have not quite managed to tie it down, so tonight I thought it was apt to comment further.

When I first began to write it was to get out a whole lot of stuff that was clogging up my brain, to get it all out and to let go of it, as well as to remember emotions and events and to track the long, hard climb to the light at the end of the tunnel. It was also about trying to get 'he who shall not be named' (and that's NOT Lord Voldemort for all you Harry Potter fans!) to believe my depth of feeling for him, for him to understand me and my actions, as well as to get some responsibility from him for his part in that, and continuance in that. And finally, as a general diary for me to keep and look back on, which being the lazy cow I am needs a certain amount of external encouragement to ensure I continue to keep it.

So how successful a venture has this been?

Well, my brain remains clogged with crap, but it is no longer fuddled with a continual whirring of questions, self-reproach and emotional upheaval. The crap now is the never ending (and that's not a bad thing) circle of questions regarding life, love and the universe in general, (not to mention the usual pointless and completely forgettable crap of course!!), which is much more positive crap to carry around every day.

I have managed to "say" all I wanted to say to HWSNBM, and after much dialogue I now realise he will never really understand me, my depth of feeling or my actions, all of which go hand in hand with each other. Most importantly, he won't ever take any responsibility for some of that, in fact I really believe now that he absolutely cannot see it. And that has helped, even though it hurt, and that can only be a good thing.

As a diary, I have continued to post, almost daily (and sometimes more so!!) for over three months, which is the longest amount of time I have ever managed to document my life before! And that is down to the people who (misguidedly maybe!) take the time out to read and to comment. It doesn't affect what I post, but it definitely makes a difference to whether I post or not! So also a success.

And now? Now I write this blog purely as a diary, a personal diary (if a shared one also) that I will be able to look back upon in years to come and no doubt cringe, smile, laugh, groan and cry about. The story of my life. An ordinary life that is so like other people's in so many ways, and yet never exactly the same as any other one individuals.

I wish I'd started this years ago! That I could look back on all the crazy, boring, happy and dreadful times of my life that came before, times which juvenile dementia (seriously, I swear I have it!!) prevents me from remembering with anywhere near enough clarity to recall coherently now. But that time is all gone now, and although I might dip into it occasionally, just for prosperity's sake, it is the here and now that really counts. So, to end this rambling nonesense, just one thing left to say... I'm bloody glad I started this blogging malarkey! Long may it remain!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was told to start a blog because I "had something to say." Not sure how right he was about that but if nothing else I get to spew out whatever I want. This isn't my first blog but I'm having a lot more fun on it and discovering a lot of useless and not-so-useless shit about myself too.

How funny some of us who comment here all started our blogs at about the same time.

Eileen Dover said...

I've written all my life. I have books of journals since I was a kid, rambling embarrassing jottings of life and my crush on Jordan from New Kids on the Block.

Since being a parent I started writing more for my kids, so they would have a memory of their life, just as I wish I had a connection with mine. (My mother died when I was young.)

But, in all seriousness, it was my therapist who told me that perhaps I should move my private journal into a public forum and share some of the thoughts on my (Very Disturbed) mind, in hopes of talking to like-minded people.

I had a lot to say after having my son, especially as I worked out issues with the donor. Writing ended up being my release, even though at times I felt I was in the depths of despair.

So.. I quite enjoy it too, and I really enjoy reading what you say. So yes please..keep it up. It's always such a shame to go and find an abandoned blog.

Alfie said...

I really share your regrets about not having recorded more of the important (and some of the unimportant) events in my life. Of course blogging wasn't around when I was your age. Damn it, computers weren't around!

Angela-la-la said...

I was always crap at writing diaries cos, even when I could be arsed to keep them, I couldn't read my terrible handwriting. My thoughts flow much more freely through a keyboard and my fingers keep up with my brain so I can get it all out.

Blogging came about as just somewhere other than the hdd to store it all, gaining a readership to give unbiased feedback has been a very nice side effect tho!

Anonymous said...

I'm pleasantly surprised by it all. I've always very much been in the 'When am I going to start living my life?' camp, only to find through my blog that it looks really quite rich and varied.

Still, looks.

Anonymous said...

Well OG I'm really glad you have been kind enough to share all your thoughts, feelings and.....and umm filth yes!;)

I know I need to start one of my own....well new year resolutions are coming......!

Anonymous said...

Hi OG,

Three things for you:-
a) I think you may have missed our long distance relationship as a really good really to blog - even though I only catch up 2 weeks after everything interesting happens!
b) Please just check - my brother lives in Staffordshire and he's an IT geek....
c) Guess Sleepless must be okay as any man who can have a comment about Bananarama at the bottom of his blog must be okay with his feminine side...:)

I also have just managed to invent mr across the miles with text pictures, here he is :))
See the double chin!

Love Across the Miles

Anonymous said...

hi honey, just got back online, changed my ip provider, what a night mare, but I am now back, will have to have a read of your last to weeks before I post, xxx
Wayne

Ordinary Girl said...

Jaded - It is funny how it helps you discover stuff about yourself, and yes, our little community seems to be very much the same blogland age! Perhaps thats why we stick together so much?

Eileen - I SO wish I had that. Any diary I have started is lucky to have seen two weeks into the new year! All that time and memory lost now! I'm glad you enjoy my (also very disturbed mind), I can tell you, the feeling is most definitely mutual!

Alfie - You are doing a fantastic job of recalling it all now though, I wish I had your memory!

FB - Lol at not being able to read your handwriting. Thank the lord for text I say! And a readership is indeed a very nice addition to the mix.

Fwengy - I have to say, your life certainly seems way more exciting than mine!! Perhaps its just the way you tell it?

Andrew - Thank you :-) and lol at filth! Who, me? (smiling sweetly)

Hey ATM! How could I have missed our LDR as a really good reason to blog! Of course!! And you being 2 wks after the events if par for the course after all :-) Don't worry, I'm WELL aware of who you're brother is!! Have no fear! Lol, I am sure Sleepy will appreciate the sentiment! Porr Mr ATM, lol, I thought this might be more like him >;-). Nice >hair!! Take care, xx

Wayne - Wondered where you'd got to, enjoy the catch up!