Saturday, December 02, 2006

Why is it so hard?

I've been very speculative just lately about what it is I want (aside from a house, more money, a nanny, cleaner, and lots of holidays of course!), more especially what I want from that dreaded "R" word. And I think I have found it... http://alfielovesemma.blogspot.com/. This sums up what it is I want! That depth of feeling, the continuation of that feeling, the knowledge of being in the right place with the right person; a shared, fondly remembered past, a current and exciting present, and a planned and anticipated future. That's it really. I read their lives with joy and with envy, long may they continue.

So why is what they have so hard to find? I know that not everybody wants what I want, or needs what I need, but everybody has their own set of criteria or wishlist, and so many of us seem unfulfilled in this aspect.

It seems like everywhere I go in Blogland I read blogs from attractive, intelligent, sexual women (and men) who, like me, are on this eternal quest, or are "settled" in relationships that don't fulfill them. In real life, I talk to friends in similar situations to mine (parents or childless), looking for somebody to share their lives with, to share experiences with, to build a future with. There are internet dating sites galore and real ife social opportunities to meet people abound, with more chance of meeting "the person of your dreams" than possibly ever before. And yet, the romantic world seems full of more dissatisfaction than ever.

Do we demand too much these days? Do we have unrealistic expectations about life and love? Are we privy to so much more opportunity and chances that we dare not settle for this one in case there is something/someone better waiting round the corner? Has society become so disposable that even relationships are seen as something to use and discard? Have we had our eyes opened so much that we cannot accept what is presented to us and available for us? Have we lost the ability to accept and to try?

I don't know the answers to these questions. I wish I did. But I wonder sometimes if we have gone too far down the path of striving for better. Whether the acceptance years ago that you married, you worked hard at it, and you stayed together produced more cases of "true love" than all the modern opportunities for independance and choice that we have today. And is it too late to go back?

I think this generation (now 30's and 40's), with it's increasing divorce and diverse family situations, is the one that is bearing the brunt, and that this in time will pass, as nature and history swings from one period to the next; that society we will return to a time of valuing relationships, valuing family, having an acceptance that we need to work at what we have, but with the balance of continuing to promote choice and enabling opportunities for all. That by the time our grandchildren are grown, the pendulum will have begun to shift back, because we cannot sustain a society long-term the way we are at the moment.

I wonder sometimes if I personally would have benefitted from a life in a different history period. Whether a tighter more controlled society would have been a good thing for me, or whether a natural propensity for dissatisfaction would have prevailed and forced society to shun my opinions and my actions. Am I a product of my childhood and my generation, or would I have turned out this way however society around me was? I guess I will never know about the past, and only time will tell about the future.

I don't proclaim to be able to answer any of these rambling questions, or the myriad of others that trip through my brain, but sometimes I like to stop and think about the bigger picture. And besides... when my brain is working at least it keeps my hands out my knickers for five minutes!

6 comments:

Eileen Dover said...

Oh wow. I don't even know where to start.

I think with feminism came a certain type of woman who decided that - on her own - she had an inner strength that showed men that she didn't need them. Along with that came a confidence, and men kind of didn't get the hint that it was okay for them to be attracted to a strong-willed woman. It didn't make them less of a man, it just meant they would need to be on their toes more often.

Men like complacency. They like the easy way. I think men are attracted to the simple women because they don't pose a threat or challenge to their "manhood".

You said something about unrealistic expectations? I've often wondered if I have that..but having settled twice before in major relationships, I'm done being with a guy just for the sake of him having a paycheck and a cock.

I want more. Need more. I deserve more. And it's not just me. Women like you are out there and not settling either.

I'm not a women's libber, and certainly not a feminist. However, I just know what I want and would rather be single, than settle down knowing that the man I'm supposed to be with is still out there.

Does this make a modicum of sense? Have you seen "The Way We Were" with Robert Redford and Barbra Streisand? It's that same theory. Barbra was too complex a woman for him.

Mummy said...

I agree, i think it will be easy to look back in the future and realise we had no choice but to all be single for such a long time. women my age, childless, never married is soooo common. And there is a shortfall of men in this country !! doomed.

plsd to hear ur libido is back ... kapai! "keeps my hand out my knickers for five minutes!"

Vi said...

I'm a true believer in waiting for the right person, not settling, after settling for the ex for 7 years. But I do think you need to be flexible a little. My sister is in her fourties, still single, childless. She is so goddamn fussy and stuck in her ways, I'm afraid she WILL be single forever. We CAN live without a man, but it's nice not to have to.

Angela-la-la said...

Is this the fussy women anonymous meeting? My name is Angie and I'm a fussy bitch that can't settle, shall I open the wine?

;-)

Ordinary Girl said...

Very true Eileen! I think that both men and women have struggled to find "new roles" in society, and that we are paying the price for the wonders of equality. Ho hum!!

Lol, thanks Joie. I wouldn't say it is back, but I think it may have been visiting sneakily just lately!! It must miss me, aaah!

You're right Vi, but it's a hard call to make. Am I settling or am I being unrealistic??? What's important I think is being able to get on by yourself so that if it comes along then it's a choice you make, rather than the result of a situation you are in.

Hey FB, we wondered when you were going to turn up. Pull up a pew and crack that wine open!!

Anonymous said...

Ooh I'm not sure if I should be gatecrashing this woman's own gathering, but it was such a good post I feel the need to comment.

I think high expectations are good as long as they remain realistic.

I also think that women have changed so much over the last 20 years. The changes are for the better in my view but a lot of men don't see that.

From a man's perspective, I think the majority of women are far more difficult to please and to understand nowadays. I'm not being derrogatory there, I'm just saying how it appears to me.

I gave up a long time on trying to fully understand women, but I do 'get' certain women who are on a similar wavelength. The only problem for me is that I don't find that many of them and I'm sure I'm an acquired taste that doesn't appeal to the majority.

I too have wondered about living in a different era, back in the days when men were gentlemen and probably during the war years. I love everything about the 40s era, but no puters? Well puters did exist but the size of a small country. I could see myself working on Enigma or something and meeting one of those women from the war films who spoke like the Queen.