Friday, September 14, 2007

Weird Science

Had a funny little interaction today that got me wondering.

I may have mentioned, or may not, that I sit as a Hospital Manager for the local mental health trust in my county. Basically this means that I sit as a lay person, on a panel with two other lay people, and make a decision about whether people should remain under a mental health section or not. It's voluntary work, but work that I love, mainly because I believe to wrongly deny somebody their liberty is one of the most awful things society can do to a person. Particularly a mentally unwell and vulnerable person.

Anyhoo! I had a hearing this morning, with two of the other HM's, one of whom shall be called HCO. HCO and I have sat on a couple of hearings together, and always manage to get into healthy and extended debate about the outcome! This was particularly realised a couple of weeks ago when we had a really, really difficult to decide case, and verified today at another very close call case.

Now the thing about HCO is, that he is not remotely attractive to me. Really. Not remotely. I am sure he is pretty average looking for a late 30's male, and lots of women may think that. I am not one of them. He seems a nice bloke, relatively amusing at times, clean and presentable, but very straight (as in "proper"), if you know what I mean, and really not my cup of tea - shallow girl that I am!

The strange thing is, that today, after the heated (but always pleasant) debate and the decision finalising, I found myself, ever such a little, flirting with him! What??! Seriously, I realised and went "Woah! What is that all about?"

So what is that all about? I'm sure I'm not attracted to him physically, but for some reason all afternoon (and if I'm honest even now as I'm typing this out), I've had a little smile on my face at our exchanges this morning. Weird. Pleasant!! But definitely weird!

8 comments:

The Boy said...

Pheremones, gotta be. It must be his "time of the month"...

BenefitScroungingScum said...

I think it's the debating. Always way sexy with an intelligent man. Thus of course I am disagreeing with the male in the comment box above me purely for the sake of it!

Alfie said...

Sometimes you complex girls do things just because you can. Or simply to hone your technique, like some sort of target practice. No wonder we lesser mortals sometimes pick up the wrong signals.

Angela-la-la said...

I agree with BG, it's incredibly sexy to have a man hold his opinion against you in a debate! Keep flirting honey, brains are horny! :)

rastaman said...

You're practising, just because you can.

n said...

No one can get me wanting like an intelligent man can! Once they get in your head...... xN

pierre l said...

I too am sure that having a debate with someone you work, or even working together on a project can lead to sexual attraction. That's why office romances happen but it's best to exercise restraint. And thank you for helping me find you again QSC.

Complex Girl said...

Ah, pheromones eh? Now certainly didn't think of that, dud!

Lol BG, glad to see you doing some debating of your own in my comment box! Don't mind me you two :-)

You're absolutely right there Alfie - though I think it's a natural state for m (well used to be). Very true about you poor confused males though, and I certainly don't envy you lot!

Well it seems as if I can't help it at the moment FB, so good job that's your advice :-)

Very true Innocent! Are you back now by the way??

Oh n, I know that feeling only too well! No fear of that with this one though, I'm still far to shallow to go there ;-)

I think I shall manage the restraint thing quite easily with this one pierre. Though if he was a good looking one...
Glad you found me by the way!