Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Voyeurism

I adore watching people!! I am a sucker for any reality tv show, particularly those that take ordinary people and put them in unusual circumstances, or those that document people who go through extraordinary times or events, and I’m equally as happy sometimes just watching the real world go by and seeing how people interact with each other.

The festive time spent at Butlins, apart from being a restful few days of not having to do anything at all constructive aside from read, lounge about, and eat lots of yummy (prepared for by someone else) food, also gave me lots of lovely time to fully indulge in that most marvellous voyeuristic activity… people watching.

And what always strikes me most in this kind of family setting, is just how unsuitable some people look together.

You know the sort… the really good looking guys with the less than good looking women, the really attractive women with the less than attractive men… and I always wonder how that works. How these lovely looking ladies end up with sometimes frankly god awful looking men, and even worse how some beautiful men walk around with women who look like they’ve walked into the back end of a bus!

Psychology tells us that we tend to generate towards people of similar attraction levels to ourselves, that we even tend to have partners that have similar physical characteristics to ourselves, and I accept that in most cases this is the norm. Yet, occasionally, and in my observations, increasingly commonly, levels of attraction don’t match so well.

So how do they do it? How do ugly women pull half a dozen branches further up the ugly tree than themselves? And more importantly, how do they keep them?!!! Are they all remnants of childhood sweetheartdom who met when they were both young and gorgeous and years later only one of them has slid into older age and hideousness! Or are some people willing to sacrifice themselves for the sake of families or situations that they find themselves in? Or perhaps other people just aren’t as shallow as me, and see beauty (or not!) is truly in the eye of the beholder.

But it isn’t just about physical qualities either. How do stupid, or boring, or spiteful people end up with intelligent, interesting, kind partners? Some people just seem so blatantly mismatched that it’s hard to believe either party could fulfil the needs of the other. But I guess other people have differing expectations for relationships than I do, and what is essential for some is not important to others.

I don’t really know where this post is leading. Not anywhere really. Just one of the random trains of thought in my head at any given time. But I do know that whatever the reasons, it damn well jacks me off to see lovely men wasted!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I nearly blogged about the self same subject a few days ago OG. I think you see more less attractive men with women thatn vice cersa though. Maybe men are more shallow?

There's nowt as queer as folk, as they say up north.

always kris said...

LMAO! I have wondered this exact same thing! I look at couples who come in to where I work and I think "How in the hell did SHE get HIM?!?" Then I think, 'damn, there is hope for me afterall!" LOL :-)

Anonymous said...

its true, i have often wondered, how such ugly boring people pull nice birds, maybe their personalities match.
Maybe we don't always go for the right sort, as we fear rejection, but this lucky people manage to catch them on the rebound. It beats me.
x

Mummy said...

uhoh - the ugly women didnt spot you eyeing up the wasted men talent did they ? rumble at butlins woulda been funny !?

Ordinary Girl said...

You might be right Sleepy. Though as far as I'm concerned the more attractive women paired off with ugly men the better :-)

Yeah, that is certainly one way of looking at it Kris!

Beats me too Wayne. I always think to myself... (the ugly one must be great in the sack!!)

Lol Joie. Now that would have been funny indeed! It's okay, I was using a newspaper with holes cut out for eyes, so I blended in just fine :-)

Alfie said...

Hi (e)og

Maybe it's the ugly duckling thing. Either one partner was an ugly duckling who grew into a beautiful swan. Or - which would be very, very sad - one was a cute little cygnet who became an ugly old duck.

Nice to see you posting at length despite the fucked-up pc.

[A note for those who've never heard of Butlins. It's a holiday venue where they blow a whistle and everyone changes beds.]

Ordinary Girl said...

Not enough bed changing for me!!