Monday, December 24, 2007

Traditions

After a hectic week of preperations (and too many meals for any one person!) I have been remarkably prepared this year. For the first time that I can remember, all my presents (excepting the ones for X and Y from Santa) were wrapped by Friday - as opposed to all my wrapping being done Christmas Eve, usually until about 2am!

Since Y was born, although we put our decorations up about a week or so before Christmas, we have always left putting our tree up until Christmas Eve. When the kids were small it was great for them to go to bed with the normal decorated house, and wake up with the whole shebang - tree, lights, presents! As they've got bigger, it's become a part of our Christmas Eve preperations, and the single most important family tradition we have. Sourcing the tree, getting it home, setting it up, decorating it, putting the presents out. This year I had actually bought the tree yesterday, and done most of my shopping, so today, apart from a trip to Sainsburys for a few extra bits, has been spent making Christmas crackers, sorting out the tree, watching Christmas family films, visits from Disco and then later Bea, eating nibbles and generally not much else. Which I have to say, has been lovely.

So, now both of my babies are settled in their beds, the house is clean (for the most part), the tree is up, and apart from the pile of presents for the stocking and the one present each from Santa that needs to be wrapped (you have to, of course, buy different wrapping paper and keep it hidden so no suspicions!) there is little else for me to do!

Tomorrow I am off to my sisters in Oxford, to spend Christmas afternoon and evening with my mum, her partner, my two brothers, my sister and of course, X and Y, followed by Boxing Day with my dad and partner, and then away to mate Mick's from Thursday to Saturday. All of which I am looking forward to. But, to be honest, sitting here clean from the bath, in just the tree and window lights, with "20 Years of Christmas Number 1's" on the telly and everything nearly ready for tomorrow is probably the best part of my Christmas.

Long may the tradition continue.

No comments: