Friday, October 16, 2009

Thy Will is done

Well, I finally had my date with Will yesterday lunchtime!

In my usually organised fashion I had emailed him a week or so ago and suggested Thursday lunchtime as my best 'window' and then promptly forgot about it! I had a couple of passing thoughts that he hadn't emailed again to say yes that's fine, or why haven't you rang/emailed back, but that was the extent of the time given over to the event. Wednesday evening, about 9.30pm, it suddenly dawned on me that Thursday was tomorrow and I had not rang or confirmed, so about 9.45pm I rang to speak to him.

We only spent a few minutes on the phone, and it very much followed the pattern of our email contact - pleasant, but nothing really exciting. So, come the designated time, I toddled off to meet him feeling rather blase about it all, which is probably a good thing as it's the first date I've been on in about 3 years I think (which is so hard to believe!!).

And, while I would love to say that in person everything clicked into place, unfortunately the date followed the same pattern as the email contact and the phone conversation beforehand. It was fine. And that was about it. Fine.

He seems to be a really pleasant bloke, family orientated, solvent, fit, and quite attractive, but he just didn't float my boat I'm afraid, which is pretty much what I expected. I had already been looking at the negatives of him before we met - particularly a 5yr old son (who he spends 4 days with/4 days without), the fact he is only seperated for 7 months, poor grammar/punctuation in emails, and other minimal but equally important factors.

I'm glad I went though, I had a nice time and it's about time I started putting myself out there again. I just need to get rid of the yardstick I subconsciously use to measure up any potential candidates. Easier said than done though!

No comments: