Friday, June 15, 2007

The missing link

Well, after the BASTARDS that are Virgin Media and Abbey National stopped conspiring with Satan in regard to my finances, my phone now provides the miracle of both incoming and outgoing calls, my tv has resurrected the 40 or so entirely crap channels that usually exist, and most importantly that precious world wide web is now back on line in the magic box of my pc!
(On that subject, I'm sure there was another bastard to mention... )

Fortunately for me, it is that time of the year again... BIG BROTHER time of course! Yay! So, there has been a tiny ray of light in my dreary poverty stricken life, albeit a 1hr a night light (thanks to aforementioned loss of television channels) - with 2hrs on Sunday, woohoo!

Despite the marvels of the British summer - demonstrated yesterday by the heaviest rainfall (2 and half inches) for 30yrs, resulting in severe flooding in my local area! I have been to two consecutive Saturday night BBQ's at friends houses, and the sun shone on the righteous and the unrighteous for both of them! Burgers, coke and gossip were all lapped up at similar rates, and good nights had by all. (Well me anyway, sod the rest of them!)

Unfortunately, it hasn't all been sunshine and light, and this week saw the BEREAVEMENT of much loved (cough, cough) Henry and Jim. X and Y's little pet fishes respectively. I admit the tank may have needed a clean a couple of weeks ago, but avoiding housework without the benefit of Blogland to distract me took so much more time and effort! Eventually, Monday evening I decided Jim looked a little peaky and thought I had better get on with it. Fish were debarked to bucket of water, tank was cleaned and refilled and then left for 24hrs to dechlorinate and adjust to room temperature. I headed off to bed leaving H and J in new buckety home overnight (as I have done every time I cleaned the tank in the last year!). Was awoken in the morning by X informing me (somewhat gleefully, worryingly!) that Jim (Z's fish) had shuffled (or swum) off this mortal coil . Unfortunately, on returning home from school/work that evening, Henry had followed his fishy partner in crime to the great fishbowl in the sky, which X did not take anywhere near as joyfully! Fortunately, ice pops seemed to rectify the grief, and order was restored! Although now I have to keep reminding myself not to put fish food in the sparkling clean, but absolutely empty fish tank!
The other main event in the missing link period was that joyous of all occasions, BIG DAY of all big days... a birthday! Yes, my baby X has clocked another year of life under her belt and is now a big, fat 7!! I just about managed to survive the onslaught of 9 other 7yr olds for due birthday party (by just letting a local playplace sort everything for me), and a good time was had by all!

So, there you have it! A summary of my time away, to all intents and purposes. I'm sure there was more - in fact I know there was more, but everything has a time and a place, and while this may be the perfect place, right now I am not in the mood for dwelling, so BACK to business it is!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah - I still remember the passing of Hammy hamster (or whatever its name was) and the pain felt. Its like reliving that time. Perhaps pets are not for you.

How is no tail??

Alfie said...

I remember telling the kids at school that my daughter Eva had a "furry green fish". It started its life cycle as a goldfish, then began to swim on its side on the surface and developed a coat of green fur. The poor little mites tried so hard to convince me the fish was dead! Too late for you to try it.

Vi said...

Glad to see you back mate.

Ooohhh noooo, your sponge bob tank is empty!

I seriously though mine would die before yours.

Actually, I better go check if they are still swimming! (and you even said your tank was cleaner than mine!)

Ordinary Girl said...

How do ATM! Fortunately the passing of Henry and Jim passed much more easily!
Are you trying to imply I'm a poor pet owner? ;-) I'll have you know we successfully raised those fishes for over a year! (Which I'm sure is old age in fishy years!!) Charlie is fine thank you, and still without tail! He's 10 soon! That's just mad isn't it! Hope you and Mr ATM are well - any plans for a new NZ Bob?
PS. It was Caleb actually :-p

I'm afraid so Alfie! They seem to be bearing up though!

I know Vi! And it was when I saw you last. Unfortunately it got muckier! Of course, I blame it on fish flu rather than neglect though!!

The Boy said...

Welcome back. Glad all the necesities of life have been returned to normal service.

Ohh, we just survived an eight year old b-day party, and in two weeks have to deal with 12 four year olds with a bouncy castle in the garden. Shudder...

Ordinary Girl said...

Oooh, in the garden?? Brave, brave man!