Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Maelstrom

Last night I went to bed full of fluff! Figuratively speaking of course.

I'd had a pretty good day, after a relaxing weekend, and it was topped off by a brief but pleasant text chat with JB confirming the 12th for our hot date. So I settled to bed calm, content, and full of pleasant thoughts of times to come and the delightfulness of new men.

This morning however, it was not new loves that crept unbidden into my dreams but old ones.

I woke in a whirl of emotions from an all too real dream that involved, in brief, the return of the man that was and a gradual reawakening of us after a weekend spent together which culminated in me losing him in a crowd.

It has taken me all day to shake a strange sense of impending trouble. I have spent the morning restless, anxious, and with a turbulence in my stomach that was not related to any digestive issues in any way.

It frustrates me that my subconscious can betray me in this way. That it can let my past creep into my present, albeit through my dreams only, and that I can be affected by something that is long since dead. It's ridiculous that something as small as a dream, which means nothing, absolutely nothing at all can send me into a spin for nearly an entire day. It's certainly a good job I don't believe in premonitions, because if I did I'd be predicting a showdown where I'm forced to choose between the old and the new.

I so want to choose the new and forget the old ever existed, but it unnerves me how much it shakes me. As I said, it's a good job I don't believe in the power of dreams, no matter how real they seem.

Lets hope for a more peaceful night tonight.

2 comments:

Alfie said...

Dreams are such a pain! I have read several articles about "lucid dreaming", where in theory you can semiconsciously redirect a dream in the direction you would like it to go. I've no idea how you're supposed to go about it. I often try to fix ideas into my head last thing befor nodding off, in the hope that it will help me dream about something really pleasant and/or sexy. Does it work? Does it hell!

Ordinary Girl said...

I can never manage to dictate my dreams either Alfie! Much as my try just before I go to sleep. I can manage to be conscious that I am dreaming at times, and force myself to alter the events in the dream - this usually only happens with scarey dreams though, which fortunately, I do not often get.