Monday, January 18, 2010

Hard to swallow

For the last week or so I have been having problems with my throat - it feels like there is something constantly lodged in it, and no matter how many times I swallow it just never goes. If I go for significant periods of time without eating or drinking it can get really bad and my gag reflex kicks in, even though I am just sitting doing nothing. Yesterday and today, several times, the only way I've been able to clear it is to physically put a finger down my throat and jiggle - not pleasant but seems to do the trick for a few minutes at least. So today, starting to get a bit worried that it only seems to be getting worse and beginning to panic about throat tumours and other pleasant and deadly medical matters I decided to go to the Doctors to get it checked out. Fortunately for me they had an appointment for 5pm so off I trotted.

I don't go to the Doctors very often, in fact the last time I went was for my annual asthma review, and she said then that they hadn't seen me since my last one the year before - so despite being incredibly unhealthy, I am also, incredibly blessed with lack of ill health. So, I went in, explained my symptoms to the doctor, sipping water in between sentences, and he had a good poke around the outside of my throat, a nose inside, and the usual temperature, pulse, weight, etc. The diagnosis? A Goitre apparently! Or enlarged thyroid gland to the layfolks out there. I must say, the link is the same info the Doctor gave me and the diagram really does reflect what it feels like in my throat - almost like I'm being strangled from the inside out! It is truly an awful feeling.

So, blood tests tomorrow, a referral to Radiology for an ultrasound scan of my throat/thyroid gland in the next week or two - which I'm pleased about as at least that will rule out anything sinister - and potentially a biopsy - which thrills me less! We will have to wait and see what comes of it all, but something needs to be done because I can't bear this feeling much longer!

On the plus side, I'd lost a lb!!

2 comments:

Alfie said...

I had a similaar problem years ago - the feeling that I had a golf-ball stuck in my throat. It turned out to be a nervous spasm which reponded to a muscle-relaxing drug.

Ordinary Girl said...

Hmm, thats interesting Alfie. I am sure they will say its nothing, but I havent felt at my peak for months, which several of my mates have pointed out to me at various times over the last few days. Sure it will all be fine though