Wednesday, November 04, 2009

The other side

I am sure you will be pleased to know I am out the other side of the recent funk, I think! Today has been a good day! Bridey has finally had her baby, after 4 days of labour and much yukky trauma, but baby is here now, Bridey is recovering and all is well - will hopefully get to see them both on Saturday!

I have had some difficulties at work recently - a completely unexpected, unpredictable and impossible to manage situation which has had a real impact on a key member of staff and will result in my recent addition being removed from the team shortly after starting. Despite this, I've felt really supported by my line management, and although there are still difficulties to face, namely the gap that will be left in an already small team, at least a decision has been reached and the current situation ended!

I am currently doing a team leader course, 5 days spread out over 4 months, and today we did a lot of work on personality types using the Myers Briggs Type Indicator, which I thoroughly enjoyed, was really enlightening and was a day much needed after the recent work events. I found it so interesting to see that my "type" is pretty much 100% accurate, and what was most interesting is that although I struggled to categorise myself in a couple of areas (Sensing v iNtuition, and Thinking v Feeling if you're interested), what came out of the afternoon was that I'm a definite Thinker as oppose to Feeler, and even more interesting is that other people in the group said it was very clear to them that I was a Thinker. I really think I know myself well so am always pleased to discover additional facets to my personality, or to view myself in a different way. Food for thought (yes, ironic considering) indeed!

This piece of information has also made me spend some time reflecting on my personal situation in recent years, and helps to explain to me how I have struggled so much to make sense of the situation. Although it hasn't helped me to rationalise the events, or more importantly my emotions and reactions to these, I guess it has given me a little peace that it is in my nature to have that need to rationalise, and I need to examine how I find the way forward with this knowledge. Particularly as I'm aware that emotions are feelings not thoughts, and that rationalising emotions isn't always possible - though it would appear to be what I need to do. I don't know but it's been a reflective and interesting day!

No comments: