Monday, May 02, 2011

I love a good wedding!

Well, sucker as I am for a good wedding, the royal one has been an excellent opportunity to revel in the romantic for a few hours, and revel I did.

We have been off visiting again, and have spent the last four days in Lincoln with my sister and hubby, and the entirety of Friday was taken up with the Royal Wedding (yip yip), which I had intended to watch only partly, but in reality the telly went on about 10am when we all got up and stayed on until about 2.30pm when it was all over!! We did then drag ourselves off the sofa to a nearby village for a quaint, quintessentially English village party - including the obligatory hog roast, wooden skittles and huge musical organ van. Fabulous darling!! The day was also made particularly thrilling by the fact that the aeroplanes that did the flyover at Buckingham Palace took off from the RAF airbase where my sister's hubby is based, and we saw them take off from literally just over the field from us! I was quite embarrasingly excited by that event I have to say!

Saturday saw me slightly less like an excited child as we headed off to Lincoln for the day, and we had a nice relaxing time looking around the Cathedral, combined with a bit of wandering the old Lincoln cobbled streets and requisite posh shops including the most cluttered antique shop I've ever seen, not to mention the most gorgeous handmade chocolates shop, before a visit to the more modern part of the city which resulted in the purchase of no less than 13 books in a wonderful (and very cheap) book shop, and the ending of the day in excited child status again!

The seaside beckoned on Sunday, and despite the very breezy (Skegness is so bracing) seafront I insisted on us all walking along the beach for a good way before the pier, the arcades and the candy floss stalls came calling! Fish and chips were eaten, rock was bought, 2pences were cashed in by the pocketful, and we finished the day with a walk back along the windy seafront once again.

So now, both long weekends are over and back to work and reality tomorrow, which is frankly rubbish!

2 comments:

ATM said...

We weren't really bothered about the wedding (especially as no day off for us - even though we are in the commonwealth) until the day came (it was on late night for us). So we cooked up a nice english breakfast for dinner, got some bubbles and watched it all. Just couldn't stay awake for the balcony bit and had to catch that the next morning.

Weekends away sound great - the village next door to us is Lincoln (see how close we are)...

Ordinary Girl said...

Yes, I had intended to only watch the actual ceremony and instead got suckered in and ended up watching about 4 hours straight. And I mean watching! Not just with it on in the background, lol.

Not close enough!!! I miss my ATM!! One of us better win that goddamn lottery soon :-)