Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Bump

Well today has been a bit of a hectic day. After a busy morning at work, early afternoon I received the dreaded call from school to come and collect X, as she was feeling under the weather and quite upset, and she had had a head bump at lunchtime. Off I set and after working my way through the awful roadworks and ensuing queues in *work town I finally arrived to pick her up at about 2pm. As expected, there was a rather large bump on her right forehead, which would not have given me undue concern except for the fact that just as I went to leave the reception staff informed me that she had also been complaining of numbness and tingling in her right hand which had progressed gradually up her arm and into her lip and tongue!

I'm not at all a hypchondriac mother, but on arriving at home I figured it's probably better to be safe than sorry so rang that service of services, NHS Direct, who informed me she needed to go straight to A&E! Being the supportive and caring mother that I am I thought "Sod that, I'll take her to the GP instead". So, on the phone again to try and get her into an emergency appointment, only to be told by the GP receptionist that I need to take her straight to A&E!

Now, I'm not a mother that is easily defeated by the system, or one that particularly relishes the prospect of a 4 hour wait in A&E, so, being clever I thought I would take her to the Minor Injuries unit in *work town, which, whilst a little further away and through the dreaded road works again, should save me some wait. Surprise surprise, the Minor Injuries unit told me... you've guessed it.... take her to A&E!

By this time, a fair amount of time had passed, and I'm starting to think it would probably have been quicker just to take her to the *local town A&E in the first place, but, we're there now so may as well just get on with it. 52 minutes after parking the car, we are back at the car having been seen by a triage nurse, seen by a Doctor, and told 'she is fine, take it easy for 24-48hrs, and come back if she has blah blah blah list of symptoms'. Oh the joys of children!

Fortunately, she'd perked up considerably and after a quick 15 minutes in the house grabbing some dinner, was able to attend (and sing beautifully) the schools Seasonal Concert at the local theatre.

I was just glad to get home at 9pm. Sympathetic mother that I am!

No comments: