Monday, February 01, 2010

Hooky

I am shamelessly skiving today! It's not something I do very often but every now and then I just need some time completely to myself - house empty, phone off, kids away. Time to catch up, focus, regroup from the everyday hassle and struggle of kids, money, work, life.

I should have had a weekend to myself (well half, Y was here) this weekend, as X was due to go to her Dad's for both Friday and Saturday night, and I was looking forward to peace and quiet and cracking on with my research proposal, which is not going at the moment. However, the best laid plans and all that - come 6pm Friday when I went to collect her from afterschool club (late!) she felt poorly. Headache, shivery, fever, etc. So I rang her Dad and said she was unwell, took her home, dosed her with paracetamol, comfy blankets, cosy pyjamas and cuddles before putting her to bed and resigning myself to a one night alone only weekend.

Saturday morning dawned bright and breezy, as did she, so I text to see what time he would be picking her up, only for him to decide that as he can't afford time off work she better not come until she's fully better! Oh, the luxury of stepping out of parenting when it doesn't quite fit!! So, bang went the weekend of studying in peace.

I had pretty much decided before I went to bed last night that I would have today and tomorrow off work, as my assignment is due Wednesday, however, as I opened my extension paperwork today to realise I've been given until 10th for my assignment, I now have the peace, the quiet and no motivation to finish. Instead, I have spent the morning catching up on paperwork, putting the bills back in order that had lapsed over Christmas and updating a finance spreadsheet to help me bring down the debt! I'm currently paying nearly £500 a month in debt - just think what I could do with that money if it was all paid off!?

So, today I am relaxing! And I don't care! Let the study commence tomorrow.

2 comments:

Alfie said...

I occasionally played hookey when I was teaching, when the pressure got too much to bear. For some reason, I always felt ill all day. Guilty conscience, I suppose.

Ordinary Girl said...

I have to say I usually find myself coming down with something shortly after! Must be some kind of hooky karma.