Sunday, October 28, 2007

Best laid plans

Well so much for my girly night out last night! Lily couldn't make Saturday in the end, so she came round for a gossip and catch up on Friday night - and we put the world to rights! Saturday, first up to cancel was Bea - now attending some hippy tribal earth drumming thing (don't ask!!), secondly Meg text to say she'd had too hard a night Friday so was recovering, and finally Gerii got stuck at the football and was going to be too late. So, babysitter duly cancelled and a night in front of the telly and catching up on blogging beckoned instead. Or rather tried to!

I'd just got settled down in front of the pc, ready to catch up on all my comments and all my regular blogs when we had a powercut. Whole street, in complete darkness. Two minutes later, after a cautious trip upstairs by the light of my mobile, and a couple of decorative candles have been retrieved from the bedroom and landing. Of course, the power then immediately came back on. Television reset, computer rebooted and back to business. Five minutes later, blackout again! This pattern repeated itself about 5 times over the course of an hour - with the power cut lasting no longer than about a minute each time, but enough to make me give up the idea of the pc!

Today has been the usual late start, followed by floating fun and a roast chicken dinner, and now back to school tomorrow. Hoorah!

8 comments:

Angela-la-la said...

I woke up to my mobile alarm this morning and saw my clock radio led flashing which meant we'd had a more-than-five-minute-batery-back-up power cut at some point the previous night.

I fast became disappointed with myself when I realised the amount of time I was wasting trying to work out how long the power was off going by the time the clock-radio was showing and the fact that it starts from 00.00 when it's re-powered.

I'm a geek with tits! I'll never leave the house again! :)

Fat Controller said...

We had our own personal private power cut last week, courtesy of a bunch of cowboys on a building plot behind our house playing silly buggers with an excavator. Problem is that in our business we have a lot of stuff in glass cabinets with electronic locks. when the power goes, you can't open them. No power=no sales!

Alfie said...

Sad about the missed night out, etc. Empathise with the etc. Power cuts are a regular occurrence in this neck of the woods. Hope you remembered to put the clocks back amidst all the confusion.

The Boy said...

We used to get this a lot, but the local power board has finally got its act together.

Pity about the friends pulling out. Nothing like having a baby sitter organised and everything else falling apart.

jaded angel said...

Oh aurgh on all the little power failures through out England!

That's when I go to bed. I take it as a sign.

And bummer on the girly night out. I hate when life interferes with nights out. Stupid reality.

Fire Byrd said...

There's something about a power cut , candles and huddling together that's enjoyable for about an hour, after that get the sodding power back on now.
pxx

Kahless said...

I hate it when I am writing a long comment, just get near the end, then I lose my internet connection.

That drives me insane!

Sorry that your night out was canx. Hope you can make up for it next weekend.

Rachel said...

Sounds like our house but without the simultaneously exploding microwaves and falling down stairs in the dark. First your lights, then tv, computer and now your mouse. There's something divine going on above your house